Sunday, December 1, 2013
The first base color is red oxide and raw sienna, thick enough to get good coverage on dry plaster cloth. Next was an off white wash of acrylics. Then spots of various other mineral colors saturating the rock walls. Allowing each application to dry before another wash is applied.
We decided to add an access hatch to reach inside the mountain in the case of a derailment. It came as an afterthought upon finishing the task of repairing a broken solder joint on the center rail "inside" the mountain. I simply chose the center for the location. The photos show plugged and unplugged access. The piece is designed so that gravity holds it plugged into place with out the need for hinges. I will add more rock details to hide the visibility of the hatch.
Here I am adding slope with vertical plaster castings hot glued into place with plaster backfill. Then I trowel in Sculptamold modeling compound, let set for a few minutes then come back with a wet paint brush and water to smoothen out the material. I realize I have to add quite a bit more Sculptamold to get much taller and full alluvials. You can see where I am talking about, the horizontal areas that look like swooping roads, I will build these areas up to create more slope. I went ahead and painted, aware that I will need to come back and finish the alluvials at a later time. I plan to add loose soil and rock to the slope and add dried field grasses to complete the scenery here,