Tuesday, August 9, 2016
This is so much fun carving away at the foam with a hotwire foam cutter. The form is ready, now I need to set the plaster castings in place on the form and blend in with modeling compound.
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
Saturday, April 23, 2016
Monday, April 18, 2016
Here is a rendering I created as a proposal for a structure to be built for one of my clients. We are now leaning towards a brewery or possibly a trucking / cartage company. Still in progress, I'll keep you up to date on the decision. In the meantime, I am building another Jordan Model Kit, a 1926 Essex Coach.
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Repurposing a sentimental Kitchen Cabinet for a customer to use as a work cabinet for his model railroad layout
I repurposed a customers sentimental old cabinet by painting it black, adding a plywood work top and putting industrial casters on it so it can rolled out for using and rolled back under the layout when not in use. I am going to put "rivets" all over it next so it looks like an iron work cabinet. Right now it is a little treasure chest of the customer's childhood Lionel train set.
These PLANET images I made from a year of photographing the bottom of my coffee mug with dry coffee sediment.
These PLANET images I made from a year of photographing the bottom of my coffee mug with dry coffee sediment. This is a fun little show I am participating in at our local Georgia's Bakery in downtown North Bend, Washington. I love looking deep into these images and imagining how the terrain might look like.
Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Sometimes I reinvent the wheel, like when I make my cracked dirt look. This time I am recording exactly how I did it and how it came out with each slightly different approach. This effect is neat next to a river or creek to show how it swelled during a winter flood and then the waters receded leaving a neat "Parched" look.
I had a ball of used foil, some paint and flocking so I thought I'd test of a piece for making fast terrain. The results were pretty cool. I molded the hills by hand and set it down on a flat table and stamped the edges flat with a block of wood. Then I spray painted the foil a dark gray. while the paint was still wet, I sifted Woodland Scenics "fine burnt grass" flocking and a bit of small clump flocking. Finally, I wet it down with a mixture of white glue and water from a spray bottle to hold it all in place, then fan dried. This would be good for military miniatures of Z-scale model railroading. Especially neat, when you don't have a lot of money or time.
Most of the floor is painted now with a fresh application of Rust-o-leum's two-part epoxy paint for concrete floors. Its pretty thick stuff and you have to work fast before it gets too thick to apply. After sprinkling some color chips on the wet paint, I let it cure for 16 hours. The result is a thick looking, glossy clean floor which reflects more light now and looks good. I am in the process of organizing all of the clients empty boxes and cleaning the floors around the perimeter now. John has a lot of big O-gauge cars and locomotives so I plan on getting some nice shelving to place all the excess ones.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
I like the way the dirt came out, looks dry and real. Yesterday, I painted the floor of the "train room" with a two part epoxy paint. I hope its dry today so I can paint the rest of the floor.
A different view of the roundhouse and turntable area. I think we need an icing platform for all those refrigerated PFE cars.